Until we can find a way to extend the day, I’ve found that becoming an earlier riser can help you gain some extra time for your personal goals.
Benefits of Waking Up Earlier
Even waking up an hour early can make a huge impact on your day. The biggest ones I noticed personal are:
- Productivity: Let’s start with the obvious – you have an extra hour carved out to get your goals done. Having this time has given me a chance to set up and plan the day without feeling rushed.
- Creativity: This quiet time allows me to ruminate more and I feel I can tap into my creative space easier.
- Stress Relief: Having this extra time for myself has alleviate some stress. I read and reflect on some scriptures which has helped me be more positive.
- Healthy Habits: While I don’t exercise in the morning, I have been better with eating better, starting with breakfast. Since I’m not in a rush I can enjoy a real meal.
Finding My Path as an Early Riser
While I don’t typically sleep in (little ones will make sure of that!), I struggled with getting up earlier.
It seemed like I could do it once in a blue moon, but I usually woke up feeling groggy and unfocused.
However I have finally broken through this past month and have been able to wake up early and energized (with no alarm clock needed).
- Have a purpose. Waking up early in itself isn’t motivation for me. I needed to have a specific reason and for me having an extra hour for my writing gave me the push and desire to see this through.
- Adjust slowly. I built up waking up over a week, choosing 15 minute increments. That allowed my body to accept this new change easier.
- Create a bedtime routine. To make sure I woke feeling refreshed, I began going to bed a little earlier. I wound down by reading some fiction.
- Make a goal for the next day. It doesn’t have to be big or complicated, just have something in mind for what you want to accomplish in the morning. I found looking forward to something energized me.
- Savor the morning. I take a short break from writing to watch the sun rise. It’s a simple, but powerful way to reset yourself before the daily chaos comes in.
These tips helped me to overcome my hurdles and become an early riser. I hope they give you a way to creating productive and less stressful mornings.
Thoughts on Becoming a Early Riser
How many of you are natural early risers? How many of you had to adjust before you made the change? What helped?
Sign up for weekly newsletter full of tips, stories, and more to help your family become financially free
Get the best of Simplify & Enjoy in your inbox