Not sure how to start talking to your kids about money? One mom shares how she's teaching her teens about budgets, investing, giving, and more!
Guiding Your Teens with Finances
One of parenthood's joys (and responsibilities) is guiding your kids and teens into adulthood. We all want them to live happy and meaningful lives.
That’s a huge goal to work towards, and it takes all 18 years (and then some!) to build them up.
One essential skill set they need to get a handle on is their finances. We know money isn’t the goal, but it is a handy tool to help them take care of their bills, save up for big goals, and yes, have a bit of fun.
The huge question, however, is where do we start? How do we teach our kids, especially teens, about finances? How do we show them the ropes of budgeting, investing, and giving? How can we help them feel comfortable with handling finances and make wise choices?
This is why I’m glad Aja, creator of Principles of Increase and author of How to Talk Money With Our Daughters. She’s also a mom of two teens.
In this episode, we get into:
- When to begin those conversations and ways you can make them meaningful and interesting
- Introducing teens to investing whether it’s funds or real estate
- Involving them with the finances so they’ll be prepared and confident with their skills
Let's get started!
Resources to Teach Your Kids about Money
If you're looking for ideas and resources to prepare your kids to be money-savvy, here are some to check out!
- Best Budget and Money Apps: Personal Capital, Tiller, Mint
- Grab Your Copy: Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money
- Join Our Community and Get Free Our Newsletter!
- How to Teach Your Kids About Money (w/o Being Boring!)
- The Opposite of Spoiled: Teaching Kids about Money (and More)
- Cash Crunch Junior: Have fun while learning about money with this board game!
- Goalsetter: Rally your family and friends together to support your kids' gifts. Goalsetter allows them to give meaningful gifts that support their dreams!
If you want to chat more about creating better money habits, questions, or share your own tips, please join us at Thriving Families on Facebook.
Thank You to Our Sponsor Coastal!
Support for this podcast comes from Coastal Credit Union! Come check out Coastal today if you’re living in the Raleigh Durham area and looking to bank better.
As a credit union, Coastal serves its members first and foremost including an annual loyalty bonus.
Rollover Your 401(k) Easily with Capitalize
We’re grateful for wonderful partners like Capitalize. Not only do they support the podcast, but they help make managing your money so much easier.
Did you know that it’s estimated that there are currently over 24 million “forgotten” 401(k) accounts? In fact, the average American changes jobs every 4 years.
And because of the Great Resignation, you or someone you know might be changing jobs even more
It’s an extreme case of out of sight and out of mind. Is your old 401(k) in there somewhere, left behind at a job you're no longer with?
One huge benefit of an IRA is choosing how your money is invested, not your old employer.
If you want to consolidate your old 401(k) and have more options with how you invest, it may be time to roll them over into an IRA.
With Capitalize, they handle the process from start to finish – for FREE and yes that includes calling the 401(k) provider on your behalf.
Find out how and get started today!
Support the Podcast!
Thank you so much for listening to the podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and found it helpful, here are some ways to support it.
- Spread the word! If you enjoyed this episode and think it can help a buddy get on the path to dumping debt and become financially free, please share.
- Leave a review. Honest feedback and reviews make a big difference and gets the word out about the podcast. Leave your review on Apple or Stitcher.
- Become a Member.
Need an Extra $5K in Your Pocket?
Learn how to find, save, and earn more money in this free email course!